Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Old Dog Smell


Before there was Tyson, there was another dog in my life. Waylon, my Granny and Granddad's hound, was the first dog I ever knew and loved.

Waylon was an outside dog. He preferred to spend his time chasing rabbits and killing small rodents which he would then drop on Granny's front porch like a treasured prize. But every now and then, he made an appearance inside the house, learning quickly that he would soon be coaxed back out with a cookie.

Wayla Boy was our Sunday afternoon companion. He followed David, Amanda, and me on our afternoon adventures. He went with us into the woods and down the hill. He watched us make mud pies and play in the leaves. We loved Waylon and he returned the affection - in his own way.

But no one loved Waylon more than my grandfather, Ralph Evans Seeley, did.

Last year, I sold my story, "Old Dog Smell" to A Cup of Comfort for Dog Lovers II. Buy a copy today and read the whole story of Waylon, Granny, and Granddad.

Cup of Comfort books are published by Adams Media and are available at all major bookstores and online at http://www.cupofcomfort.com/.

3 comments:

BECKY said...

Congrats again, Melissa!!

Tammy said...

Enjoyed your story!

Melissa Face said...

Thank you both!