Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Too Smart to Play


I visited my cousin the other day and spent the first few minutes observing her dog, Lola, as she chased a red beam from one side of the house to the other. Lola's paws slid beneath her on the hardwood floors and she scurried from one room to the next, desperate to catch and trap the light beam.

I thought it was hilarious and that it might be fun for my dog.

Remembering that I had confiscated a laser from a former student, I brought it home from work yesterday. I shined the light on the carpet. Tyson looked at it curiously and slapped it with his left paw. I shined it again. Tyson looked at the light and then at my hand. He ran over to me and licked my hand - the hand that was holding the laser. His expression was of utter disgust and he looked at me as if to say, "Did you really think I would fall for that? I am not one to be tricked."

Tyson trotted over to the couch, truly frustrated with my attempt at playing. He closed his eyes and napped. I put away the laser. Maybe Lola will want it when hers wears out.

Perhaps games of this nature are somewhat beneath Tyson. After all, he is a SMART dog.

No comments: