Thursday, September 3, 2009

Clown Dogs




I have read that boxers are the "clowns" of the canine world. But since I don't know many other members of this breed, I have been unable to generalize. Boxer fanciers brag that one of the breed's best qualities is their innate desire to make their owners laugh. Tyson does just this - on a daily basis.




When Tyson is excited, he will spin himself around in circles, sometimes completing 7 or 8 360's before he tires out. He has been known to sprint through the house at break-neck speeds as though he has some sort of apparition on his heels. He also enjoys jumping up and wrapping his front paws around Craig's legs for no reason. On other occasions, he will jump off the couch, run to his toy basket, pick something out, and entice us to play with him. And, he will not give up until we give in. Like a clown, Tyson's main duty in life is to make us laugh. The harder we laugh, the harder he plays.




Since Craig and I are relatively new dog owners, we thought all dogs behaved in this manner. But a year ago, we had the opportunity to dog sit Cherokee, a beautiful Shepherd-Malamute mix. Cherokee was extremely well-behaved, loving, and affectionate. But he did not display all of the qualities that we were used to seeing in Tyson. In fact, Cherokee seemed a bit puzzled by Tyson's behavior. He watched Tyson with confusion and a bit of concern. His expression seemed to say, "What are you?" and "Have you been tested for DADHD"? (Doggie ADHD)




This picture captures one of the moments when Cherokee was puzzled with Tyson's behavior. Cherokee is a gorgeous, gentle animal and I love his refined, serious demeanor. But I also love Tyson's silliness. After a long, hard day, nothing cheers me up faster than my clown dog.

2 comments:

BECKY said...

Tyson really is adorable! His eyes are so "human-like".....I'd love to be able to read his mind!

Melissa Face said...

me too! but i'm afraid i might not like what he thinks about me going to work without him every day!